• While parking your car and walking to and from the store, scan the area for suspicious
persons. If you notice something out of the ordinary, choose a different area
to park in and notify mall security.
• Avoid parking by large vans. If there is a van parked next to your car when you
return, enter your car from the passenger side.
• Conceal all valuable items in your vehicle such as: cell phones, mp3 players,
l laptops, radar detectors, jewelry, etc. Lock your valuables in the trunk and
out of plain sight.
• When entering and exiting your vehicle, do it quickly. Avoid having your back
turned while putting bags away in your car.
• Be cautious of strangers asking for questions as you walk to or from your car.
• Familiarize yourself with exits around the parking lot.
• Always lock your doors and roll the windows all the way up, even if you are just
running in the store for a minute.
• Have your keys ready before you get to your vehicle. Searching for or fumbling
through your purse to get your keys leaves you vulnerable to attackers.
• Remember where you parked your car. When there are no row numbers provided,
look around the parking lot for landmarks such as trees or light posts.
• Look under, in front of, and all around your car before you get in.
• Once you get in your car, leave! Many women sit in their car, preoccupied by other
things such as: making a list, balancing your checkbook, fixing makeup; which
makes you an easy target for a predator.
• Always be aware of your surroundings – this is your best defense!